An introduction

We (you and I) have been eating from the wild since we were small children, from invasive Himalayan blackberries to disgusting Mountain Ash berries eaten on dares. A decade ago my brother Matt, a professional wild forager, introduced me to miner's lettuce and nettle. Since then, through lean times and backpacking fiascos, wild foods have sustained me and my family. Even when all is well, the earth's free gifts enrich our meals, snacks and tea times. I don't consider myself an expert; I am an enthusiast. And I want to share with you what I have learned.

Preliminary Warnings:

1) Poisoning. Please avoid this by identifying the plant and edible parts with absolute certainty. Check your favorite expert: person or book. Plants of Southern Interior British Columbia and the Inland Northwest published by Lone Pine is a favorite resource. However, I learn plants best by being shown again and again by patient teachers, like my husband, Huckleberry. I'll share my tips but YOU must be sure.

I heard a cautionary tale of mushroom non-poisoning, the morel of which was this: the symptoms of panic (heart palpitations, sweating, rapid heart beat) when you think you might have ingested a poisonous wild thing are indistinguishable from the symptoms of real poisoning. The only way for you and your entire extended family to avoid getting your stomachs pumped in the ER on Christmas day is to be 100% certain of what you are eating before you eat it.


2) Private property. If it looks like someone might care, get permission or be very sneaky. Try not to trespass.

3) Pest/herbicides. Watch for deformed or unseasonably dead plants. 4) Doo. Make sure animals haven't recently fertilized your foraging spot.

5) Discovery of allergies.

Okay. Now it is time: Ready. Set. Forrage!

No comments: